Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I know I'm a parent because...

This is simple.  I have so many reasons I know I'm a mom.  Sitting and thinking about how my life has changed brings up so many memories that seem so far away.  I'm different now.  I might be more boring now, but overall, it's made me such a better person.  

I'm the first to say that Jackson is a miracle.  He's something we didn't even know we needed, but I know Jonathon and I could never live without him.  He makes us whole.  He fills a huge space in my heart that nothing and no one else could ever fill.  Now that you're assured I love him and wouldn't trade him for anything, here are a few reasons I know I'm a parent - and maybe some misconceptions about labor, delivering a child, having a newborn and raising a toddler.  Warning: I'm going to be honest here.

1.  I've never been more pissed off in my life than the time the night nurse told me that  I should try sitting on an exercise ball to ease the pain of a contraction.  Lady, I've been in labor all night.  These contractions are getting worse - I don't want to sit and bounce on a ball.  I'd rather rip your face off and then ask for some medicine.  

2.  I've never been happier in my life than when above mentioned nurse had shift change and my new day nurse greeted me by wheeling in a cart of meds, saying hello and then giving me a shot of I don't know what - but it made my day, and ultimately her day, a lot better.   

3. Yes.  Delivering your child is a miracle. The baby is a miracle, everything is super blessed.  I get it.  No one tells you that after delivering a baby, it looks and feels like a terrorist just bombed and blew up your private parts.  Just the truth.


4.  I never heard that after delivering said miracle, you go home and still look pregnant.  Obvs, I didn't think I'd drop 30 pounds in the delivery room, but good grief, I thought I might have Jackson's twin stuck in my uterus because I really still looked pregnant.


5.  Babies don't sleep.  Yup, we know this.  But did you know that they cry for absolutely no reason?  Then when you call your husband after listening to the crying for 2 hours, he stops home to help and the child falls asleep as husband is pulling in the driveway.  Seriously?  That's shady.


6.  Kids are tricky.  Things that worked yesterday, or this morning for that matter, do not work right now.  Bananas are his favorite food, you buy a bunch of bananas.  He decides bananas are disgusting and would rather go hungry and cry and make you cry because you should have known.


7.  You are a parent now because you and your husband discuss poop more than once a day.  Someone else's poop for that matter.  Suddenly, poop is a topic that has absolutely no stigma attached to it and it's talked about freely.  It becomes need-to-know information.  Um, when did that happen?!


8.  Kids go through a hitting stage.  I've been hit, and while I proceed to promptly put him in time out, he looks at me and cries and hugs me because I've now offended him somehow by punishing him for clocking me in the side of my face.  Great.  I feel like a jerk.  Time out happens anyway and I stand around the corner feeling horrid.


9.  Everyone has an opinion on how you should raise your child.  And guess what? You're always doing it wrong.  


10. At the end of the day, tucking my sweet boy in bed, hearing him call me "mom", feeling his hugs and kisses makes every one of these things worth it.  And, you may just want to do it all again.

No comments: