Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tales of Malcolm Grow Hospital






I think I've had the longest day in history. With Jonathon working nights, I am usually up waiting for him and we sleep during the day. On the days either of us have appointments, the line between our day and our night is blurred and we end up so tired we just want to fall over.

Today, I had a doctor appointment at 10:20 am. This meant, I had been awake for almost 12 hours (I took a nap that night) by the time I showed up to the hospital. After waiting around for my doctor appointment, I endured the scale (I'll fess up to gaining 16 lbs) and met my new doctor (whom I really like!). She sent me up to the lab to take my glucose tolerance test. I had to fast for this particular test - so not only had I been up FOREVER by this time, but I hadn't eaten in 7 hours either.

I went up to the lab, waited in line to check in, and then got told 10 minutes after I checked in that the computer system was down and I could either wait until they come back up or I can go get written orders for my blood work from my doctor. Great. I navigate my way back to the other side of the hospital and wait 30 minutes for my doctor to write a few words on a medical note pad. To make a long story long, I went back to the lab, drank my orange solution and had to wait an hour to get my blood drawn. I can't even tell you how ready I was to pass out waiting before they gave me sugar. I was tired, starving, and I have low blood sugar normally - so I was a wreck. I got home 3 hours after my appointment when all was said and done and was just in time to say goodbye to Jonathon who was leaving for work.

On a good note - my doctor says that I'm measuring on the small side, still in the healthy range but on the small end of the scale. So our boy is tiny right now, but I'm sure he'll fatten up for us in the coming weeks. (11 to go!) My back is an absolute nightmare, though. It feels broken in 9 different places and I'm certain there is only one position I can sleep in. Jon takes walks with me at night though, and that helps out a lot!

Jonathon is already thinking about Dallas Cowboy onsies and Air Force outfits. If anyone knows where I can obtain these things, please let me know! We're on the down hill stretch, and even less time until I brave traveling while not being able to completely see my feet. See you all soon!

No comments: